Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business address

I have a business address that is different than my home address but it is not an office. I just use it to get mail and it's my legal address. I assume the money I pay for that is not rent and I would not include it on line 20 on the Profit or Loss Form on Schedule C when trying to estimate my taxes? Similarly, I assume my mileage would be calculated based on my home address and not the business address since I do not have an office there? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

Business address

Hi @aschreffler !

The expense of maintaining the business address may be a deductible expense, even if it's not rent.  Any expense related to earning the business income is usually deductible.   If it's an expense you're incurring strictly because of the business, it would be deductible. 

Your business mileage is calculated based on where you initiate the business travel from and to.  So one leg of your journey may be considered commuting or personal while another leg may be business mileage.  

There is a really good graphic on page 12 of this publication that displays how business mileage is calculated:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

Business address

Hi @aschreffler !

The expense of maintaining the business address may be a deductible expense, even if it's not rent.  Any expense related to earning the business income is usually deductible.   If it's an expense you're incurring strictly because of the business, it would be deductible. 

Your business mileage is calculated based on where you initiate the business travel from and to.  So one leg of your journey may be considered commuting or personal while another leg may be business mileage.  

There is a really good graphic on page 12 of this publication that displays how business mileage is calculated:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies