turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JYA
Level 2

1099-NEC for non-cash earnings

I am an Amazon Vine participant for the first time last year. I reviewed a bunch of products which are given to me at no cost with the stipulation that I would have to pay taxes on the value of the goods received. So AMazon sent me a 1099-NEC with the sum of the values on which to pay tax. My issue is that TurboTax is creating a Schedule C series of questions about Tax Ids, business addresses, number of employees(?) and the such. This is not a business, so I don't don't know if I am misdirecting the script or this is standard amd I should leave everything blank? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You were performing a service for Amazon, and your compensation was the products you received.  You were an independent contractor, which means for tax purposes you were self-employed (at least in regards to what you did for Amazon).  Since you were self-employed, you must report your compensation, and any related expenses on Schedule C of your personal tax return.  Your business address would be your personal address, unless you applied for a tax ID with the IRS, your "business" doesn't have one.  And you probably don't have any employees.  These questions are all standard, and may or may not apply to someone that is self-employed.  If something doesn't apply to you, leave it blank and move on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You were performing a service for Amazon, and your compensation was the products you received.  You were an independent contractor, which means for tax purposes you were self-employed (at least in regards to what you did for Amazon).  Since you were self-employed, you must report your compensation, and any related expenses on Schedule C of your personal tax return.  Your business address would be your personal address, unless you applied for a tax ID with the IRS, your "business" doesn't have one.  And you probably don't have any employees.  These questions are all standard, and may or may not apply to someone that is self-employed.  If something doesn't apply to you, leave it blank and move on.

I also am a Amazon Vine member & have to file the 1099-NEC on my taxes for the first time.  Can I use the Turbo Tax Deluxe that I already had ordered for this?  I am a stay at home Mom who files jointly with my husband whom is employed & received a W2.  The only deductions I would have towards the 1099 would be regular overhead, like a percentage of utilities.  Will the Schedule C included with the Deluxe version allow me to deduct those?

Yes if you have the Desktop  Deluxe program.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You just get more help in the higher versions.

But if you are using the Online Deluxe version you will need to upgrade to the Self Employed version.  How to enter income from Self Employment
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

I purchased the CD version of the Turbotax Deluxe on Amazon... will try to attach the link.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGQL52SN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1  Would that be considered the 'Desktop Deluxe'  I couldn't find any reference to that exact name.

Thank you for your fast response!

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Yes the link you listed is for the Desktop Version of TurboTax Deluxe.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies