turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NEC

I am a VOLUNTEER and spend many weekends, at my expense (hotels, gas, food), away from home volunteering my time. The nonprofit I volunteer with has now begun paying me a stipend for my time and expertise. It is not much, basically just enough to cover my expenses. At the end of the year, I received from them a form NEC. When I filed last year, my "losses" were extreme when taking into account mileage travelled, and I don't think I paid any self-employment tax. Does that sound correct? My question concerns this particular scenario again.....at what point and which taxes do I have to pay if I'm classified as an independent contractor (when in actuality, I am not a business but a volunteer!)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
shirleyh88
Employee Tax Expert

NEC

Hello carol1912!

Thank you for your question. When you receive Form 1099-NEC, you are considered an independent contractor regardless whether you are registered as a business or not.  As an independent contractor, if your business produces an income, you would have to pay self-employment tax (SE tax) which consists of Social Security and Medicare taxes. You figure out SE tax by using Schedule SE for Form 1040. The benefit of being self-employed is  you can deduct the employer-equivalent portion of your SE tax in calculating your adjusted gross income (AGI), whereas wage earners who receive Form W-2 cannot deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes. 

Since you had a loss on your business, then you have no SE income and you do not owe any SE taxes. 

Please refer to the article below for reference regarding incurring a loss on your SE business: 

https://budgeting.thenest.com/figure-social-security-tax-3149.html 

Please let me know if this answers your questions, or if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you!

Shirleyh88

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies