Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kj_tax

IRA contribution deduction limits if ended 401K job

I received a single paycheck from employer in 2022 that made contribution to 403B plan before being terminated. The remainder of year I was self-employed and made contributions to my IRA. Can I deduct those contributions if joint MAGI > $136K? What do I need to do in TurboTax to enable deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

IRA contribution deduction limits if ended 401K job

In answering your question, I’m assuming you are filing as married since you mention the $136k limit for deducting a traditional IRA contribution as married filing jointly.

There is no proration for being covered by an employer retirement plan. The "Retirement Plan" box in box 13 of your Form W-2 should be checked if you were covered by your employer's plan. This box should be checked even if you weren't vested in the plan, and even if you weren't covered at the end of the year. However, if your employer offers a plan and you don't participate (by making contributions), you're not considered covered by that plan unless it is a defined benefit plan.

See Are You Covered by an Employer's Retirement Plan?

If you are above the limits for an IRA deduction, you can still make a non-deductible contribution to your traditional IRA.

A self-employed person can contributed to a deductible Simplified Employee Pension Plan (SEP). You can set up a SEP for a year as late as the due date (including extensions) of your business income tax return for the year you want to establish the plan.

See Simplified Employee Pension Plan (SEP).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies