turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Independent Contractor - Married Filing Jointly

Hi! I started work this year as an Independent Contractor using an EIN and a 1099. I will be filing taxes jointly with my spouse, who has regular IRS withholdings taken out of his paycheck through his W-4. Do I need to make quarterly tax payments or does my spouse's contributions count for the both to avoid an underpayment penalty? Could/should we boost his withholding amount to potentially cover my taxes due? Thank you!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yes his withholding counts towards your joint total tax.  Yes he can increase his withholding to cover any of your self employment tax.

You pay Self Employment tax (Scheduled SE) on a Net Profit of $400 or more on Schedule C.  You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit (If it is greater than $400).  The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare.  So you get social security credit for it when you retire.  

GabriellaEA
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Muk6202! Congratulations on your new business! If you do plan to file jointly and your spouse has regular income tax withholding, you may not need to make separate quarterly tax payments, if his withholding is enough to cover your joint liability for the year, including your self-employment income. Keep in mind, though, that the income you earn from independent contracting work is subject to self-employment tax in addition to regular income tax. This means your tax liability may increase more than you expect based on your net self-employment earnings. Also, be sure to keep good records of your expenses, as these can be used to lower your business income and therefore your income tax and self-employment tax liability. If you'd like to check to see if his withholding is on track to cover you or if you should consider boosting it or making quarterly payments, the IRS withholding estimator is an awesome tool to use!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies