Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If Ieave my job in May to become self-employed, how do I pay my taxes for the rest of the year to avoid penalties?

I currently have both a full time job (W2) and a bunch of freelance income. Each year, I make sure that the W4 withholding choices I make at my job ensures that enough taxes are sent to the IRS that I hit the safe harbor level relative to the previous year's tax bill (when I started, this was 100%; I now make enough that it's 110%). That way, I do not need to file estimated taxes for my freelance income. I just save what I owe during the tax year, and pay any resultant taxes before April 15th of the following year.

I am considering leaving this job and relying purely on my freelance income. If I did this, what would I do to ensure that I was not hit with any penalties on my next tax return? It's now May 15, 2023. Thus far this year, I have been paying taxes only via withholding. If I stay in my job until December 31st, I will have paid enough taxes via withholding to hit the safe harbor and avoid underpayment penalties for the rest of my income. If I leave my job before that, however, I will not. What does one do in such a situation?

Suppose that I left my job today: May 15th, 2023. What would I do next? Would I work out how much I'd paid via withholding this year thus far and then fill the "gap" between May 16th, 2023 and Dec 31, 2023 with estimated taxes? If so, how would I divide up the year? As far as I understand it, withheld taxes are annualized but estimated taxes are not. Would I need to allocate the withheld taxes to the Jan 1 to May 15 period and the estimated taxes for May 16 to Dec 31? If so, would I be penalized for having uneven or missed estimated tax payments (obviously, there is no way I can pay estimated taxes for the pre-April 15 period now). 

Logically, I'd assume that I should divide the year up into four. This would involve working out what I'd paid in the first quarter via withholding and then paying exactly that number on June 15 (by adding an estimate payment to my existing withholding contributions), on September 15 (with an estimated payment) and on January 15th of next year (also with an estimate payment). Is that correct? The IRS has confused me a bit, because on the one hand it says that if you hit one of its three safe harbor rules (less than $1,000 owed, paid 90% of what's owed, paid 100/110% of last year's bill), you won't incur a penalty, but on the other hand it says that when estimated taxes are involved the payments all have to be even, and that you can be assessed a penalty for an underpayment even if you end up with a refund.

Thanks,

Enfant

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If Ieave my job in May to become self-employed, how do I pay my taxes for the rest of the year to avoid penalties?

You need to send in quarterly estimated payments.  

To prepare estimates for next year you start with your current return, but be careful not to change anything.  If you can't get back into your return, Click on Add a State to let you back into your retun.

You can just type W4 in the search box at the top of your return , click on Find. Then Click on Jump To and it will take you to the estimated tax payments section. Say no to changing your W-4 and the next screen will start the estimated taxes section.

Or Go to….

Federal Taxes or Personal (Deskop H&B)

Other Tax Situations

Other Tax Forms

Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

And in the Desktop program you can switch to Forms and open the Estimated Tax Payments Options sheet.  You can even select to print the estimates with just your personal info and no amounts.  You  can play with and tweak the amounts.  You can open the individual 1040ES forms and override the amounts.  

See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/can-turbotax-calculate-next-year-s-federal-estim...

You must make quarterly estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits.

- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:

90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or

100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months).

To just estimate the remaining quarters put in that you paid $1 for the missed quarters so it will only calculate the remaining quarters.

The 1040ES quarterly estimates are due April 18  June 15, Sept 15 and Jan 16, 2024.  Your state will also have their own estimate forms.

Here are the blank Estimates and instructions (the actual 1040ES forms are at the very bottom so scroll way down)

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies