Solved: I paid both 2019 and 2020 property taxes in 2020. ...
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cr81dr00
Level 1

I paid both 2019 and 2020 property taxes in 2020. Do I enter the total of the amount in Turbotax?

I paid both 2019 and 2020 property taxes in 2020. Do I enter the total of the amount in Turbotax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
xmasbaby0
Level 15

Yes you can enter the total amount of property tax you paid in 2020----it matters what tax year you paid it in--not what year it was "for."   But remember that there is a $10,000 cap on the deduction you get for state and local tax, so even if you paid over $10,000 you will not be able to deduct more.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply
xmasbaby0
Level 15

Yes you can enter the total amount of property tax you paid in 2020----it matters what tax year you paid it in--not what year it was "for."   But remember that there is a $10,000 cap on the deduction you get for state and local tax, so even if you paid over $10,000 you will not be able to deduct more.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

v
Privacy Settings