Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a self-employed sole proprietor, calculating my allowable SEP IRA contribution for 2022. How much ca I really contribute?

I've never had a SEP IRA before. I read once place that I can contribute up to 25% of my modified adjusted gross income for 2022 to a SEP RIA. Another place, I read it's only 20%. I am not sure whether I can contribute 25% as my own employer, and another 20% as my own employee, or what. What percentage actually applies to me? Percentage of what? MAGI?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I'm a self-employed sole proprietor, calculating my allowable SEP IRA contribution for 2022. How much ca I really contribute?

You can contribute up to 25%.

When figuring the contribution for your own SEP-IRA, compensation is your net earnings from self-employment, less the following deductions:

• one-half of your self-employment tax and
  • contributions to your own SEP-IRA.

See SEP Contribution Limits (including grandfathered SARSEPs)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You can contribute up to 25%.

When figuring the contribution for your own SEP-IRA, compensation is your net earnings from self-employment, less the following deductions:

• one-half of your self-employment tax and
  • contributions to your own SEP-IRA.

See SEP Contribution Limits (including grandfathered SARSEPs)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You contribute as an employer. That’s important to recognize because that means you have an employer requirement plan and can’t get a deduction if you contribute to a traditional IRA. TurboTax will calculate the maximum allowed SEP contribution for you. 

Thank you. I also have a traditional IRA. Is it true that if I have a traditional IRA, I can't contribute to a SEP IRA? Or what are the contribution and tax deduction restrictions in this case?

You can contribute to both but since you won’t get a deduction for your traditional IRA contribution you might want to consider a ROTH.  The contribution limit for SEP and IRA are independent of another so one doesn’t affect the other. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies