Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lowrys

I am a teacher but am considered an employee of the church. Social Security and Medicare were not withheld. Do I pay those as self employed? My total income is below 15K.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am a teacher but am considered an employee of the church. Social Security and Medicare were not withheld. Do I pay those as self employed? My total income is below 15K.

Do you get a W2?  

After you have entered the W2 into TurboTax as it is then you will come to a screen that says 'Let's check for some uncommon situations".  Scroll down and check the box that says 'Religious employment'.  The system will walk you through everything that you need to do from there and will include the schedule SE.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes!  Members of the clergy (ministers, members of a religious order, and Christian Science practitioners and readers), and some religious workers (church employees), must pay self-employment tax (SE tax).   TurboTax will handle preparing the Schedule SE for you.  The following income is included in the SE tax calculation on Schedule SE:

• Salaries and fees for your ministerial services
  • Money for marriages, baptisms, funerals, masses, etc.
  • The value of meals and lodging provided to you, your spouse, and your dependents
  • The fair rental value of a parsonage (including the cost of furnished utilities) or the rental allowance (including an amount for utilities)
  • Any amount a church pays toward your income tax or SE tax, other than withholding the amount from your salary

After entering your W-2, mark the box for Religious Employment on the Any Uncommon situations screen.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies