Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msantor52

How do I claim and receive full credit for my 80 year old mother in law living with us and my wife and I providing housing, food, rides, care etc

What forms or turbo tax version do I need to use to file properly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I claim and receive full credit for my 80 year old mother in law living with us and my wife and I providing housing, food, rides, care etc

If she had taxable income less than $4,700 and you provided more than half of her support you can claim her as a dependent. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

To claim your mother-in-law as a dependent, you only need Form 1040 which is included in the Free version.   You can see which forms are available in each product by clicking this link and scrolling down.    You can always start in the Free version and if something comes up while you are preparing the return that requires Deluxe or Premium, you can upgrade then.  

How to Add a Dependent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not sure what you expect "full credit" to be.  When you claim an adult dependent you get a $500 credit for other dependents that can be used to reduce your tax liability.  It is non refundable.  

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Her social security income is not included in the $4,700 income requirement for a dependent if it is not taxable, buy you still need to supply over half of her support for her to be a dependent. You can use this IRS tool to determine if she qualifies:

Test to determine dependent status

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies