Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Full-Service Self-Employed: does it include all State filings?

I realize each state filing is an additional fee, but I am not clear as to whether paying for Full Service will include preparation for each State I pay for. 

I have multiple non-resident State filings to prepare/file, and I want to use the Full Service option to have my Federal and all of these States prepared and filed. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Was informed by phone support that Full Service does include any paid State filings, but is limited to 5 states. The Desktop version supports more than 5 states, but I cannot determine if the Desktop version offers the Live or Full Service option. 

Based on the online product links, the Full Service option is under the online offerings only. The phone support person said I should be able to use Full Service with th Desktop version, but it isn't listed as a feature or option anywhere in the product details. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Live Full Service is only available in the TurboTax Online products, not with TurboTax Desktop.  Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for information about the program.

What is TurboTax Live Full Service?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, I confirmed this over the phone with a support person. 

There was a glitch in the Self-Employed Online version that allowed more that 5 states to be added to your return as part of the preparation process, and since my call with support yesterday, this seems to have been fixed as now I see a warning that I cannot have more than 5 state filings in my account. 

This seems a huge oversight by TurboTax, as there are many self-employed people like myself that travel and sell at more than 5 out-of-state events. I would gladly pay the fee for each state prep/filing, but the limit of 5 states excludes me from being able to use TurboTax any longer. 

I have no idea why there is a limit on the number of states, when they are paid for per-state. But this has forced me to take my business to a tax prep professional who has no limits on how many filings they will accept. It’s also going to cost me less money. 

Note that the desktop version will prepare more than 5 state returns, but then you cannot use Live Assist. This is unworkable for me since the state returns are what I need the most help with. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies