Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sunvox
Returning Member

Filing quarterly taxes when self employed and NOT using "estimated payments".

Does Turbo Tax Premier allow me to enter data on a quarterly basis to pay quarterly taxes?  When I search previous responses on this topic answers always talk about "estimated" vouchers.  My quarterly income is highly variable so estimated taxes are not useful.  I need to input actual income from the previous quarter to make accurate payments.  Can I do this with Turbo Tax Premier.  Also I would be using a desktop version and not online or with an advisor.  Finally I live in New York so the last question is does the software take care of state quarterly taxes as well. Thanks in advance for any help offered.  Joe in NY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Filing quarterly taxes when self employed and NOT using "estimated payments".

If you are using the Desktop program you can go into your 2023 return and refigure the estimates each quarter. If you are worried about  using your 2023 return and don't want to mess it up you can save your return with another name to do the estimates and test in.  Name it ESTIMATES.  That's what I do.  

You can go though the Estimated section or switch to Forms Mode.  That's what I do.  I use both the What-If worksheet and the estimated payments.  Click Forms in the top right (left for Mac). Look though your forms in the left column for Est Tax Options about 3/4 way down near the bottom of the federal forms.

Then I don't print out the vouchers.  The IRS sends me prefilled 1040ES slips each year so I just write in the amount on them to mail.  Then they fit in the window envelopes.  Or you can pay directly on the IRS.  

You can also revisit the Estimated Section

Federal Taxes or Personal (Home&Business version)
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Say No to W4. When you get to the W4 and Estimated Taxes section, say you want to adjust your income to go though all the screens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies