Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Difficulty of Care

I received a 1099-NEC for caregiver services but this income falls under Difficulty of Care Federal Income Tax Exclusion.  My husband and I are not eligible for the EIC.  Do I fill in 1099-NEC then remove in Miscellaneous Income?  THANK YOU! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Difficulty of Care

If your income falls under the Difficulty of Care, as you walk through the steps of entering the 1099-NEC, you will be asked if one of these uncommon situations apply?  Select this income is a Medicaid waiver payment that qualifies as a difficulty of care payment.  TurboTax will automatically enter this as a negative number on line 8s of Schedule 1.  

You do not need to remove it in the Misc Income section as TurboTax is doing it for you when you select that is it a Difficulty of Care Payment.  If you do, you would be under-reporting your income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Difficulty of Care

Under Uncommon Situations there is no option to choose Medicaid waiver payment.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Difficulty of Care

When you enter your 1099-NEC, be sure you are not entering it in the self-employment section.  Instead, you should be entering it under Other Common income>>1099-NEC.   The question is 2 to 3 screens after you enter the 1099-NEC information. 

If you do not see it, go back and delete your 1099-NEC on the summary screen, then re-enter it.  Continue through and select the medicaid waiver payment option. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Difficulty of Care

Just realized I was entering as Business Income rather than Other Common Income!  Thank you!  

Difficulty of Care

THANK YOU!  I just fixed it and what a relief!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies