Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Childcare

I had a babysitter help me here and there and I am thinking to report expenses this year.  Do I let the baby sitter know?  Also, how much money spent on childcare  is significant and worth reporting?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Childcare

If you plan to claim a childcare credit because you paid a babysitter so you could work, then yes, you need to tell the babysitter.   The babysitter has to enter that income on her own tax return.

Only childcare expenses incurred so that you could work can be entered for the childcare credit---hiring  a sitter for a "date night" etc. does not count.

You will need either the Social Security number or Tax ID of your childcare provider.   The amount the childcare provider enters on their own tax return will be matched up with the amount you claim that you paid to them.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900643-what-is-the-child-and-dependent-care-credit

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies