Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TStarkey

Can't amend S-corp filing - what do I do?

I prematurely filed my wife's S-Corp taxes for her interior design business on February 10th.  Her accountant had not completed year end so there were some changes.  Additionally, we decided after filing that we were going to contribute to her SEP.  So now, the accountant is finished with year end, and we have arranged to contribute to her SEP, so I started to amend taxes in the desktop business edition.  It went fine through the federal portion, but when I got to the state section (Arizona), the software says that it cannot e-file an amended tax filing for Arizona, which is required, and offers a refund.  There are no other options.  I tried to go back and just submit and amended federal tax filing, but it keeps taking me through the state, and even if I try to skip it, when I get to the filing section, it says I can't file.  I even tried to select "by mail" thinking I could at least get the forms out of the software and find another way to efile and amended return.  It says I can't mail them because efiling is required in Arizona.

So I am stuck... how do I file my amended federal and state?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You may try deleting the state so you can e-file the amended federal return. Follow these steps in TurboTax for Desktop:

1. Open the amended return and save as "Copy-FederalAmended."
  2. Open the Copy-FederalAmended return.
  3. Go to File in the main menu (black bar at the top of the screen) and choose Remove State Return
  4. Choose the state return and click Remove. Confirm.
  5. Review the amended return to be sure the changes you entered for the federal return are correct.
  6. Save the file.
  7. Go to Federal >> Review to confirm no Smart Check errors.
  8. Go to File >> File Return and submit e-file.

1. Open the amended return, go to State Taxes.
  2. Continue through the state interview to confirm your changes.
  3. Go to File >> File Return and choose to e-file your state return only.
  4. If you still receive the state e-file error, choose to file the state return only by mail so you can print the return.

You may need to start with your original return, if TurboTax won't let you remove the state after you started the amended return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TStarkey

Thanks so much for the response Patricia.  I tried the first set of steps you provided.

open as an amended return

Saved as a new file

Removed state return

I reviewed the return

Saved file

When I clicked through to get to the efile, it said we were ready to start on state, and showed AZ az my option.  I went to "remvoe state" again, and confirmed it wasn't in the list (it wasn't).  I skipped states, and went to efile.  It said I had no eligible returns to efile, and showed both my fed and state had been accepted.

I saved, closed out, and reopened TT, selected AMEND for the new version, skipped straight to the FILE tab (having already reviewed it prior), and selected efile.  Again, it told me I had no eligible returns, showing both fed and state had been received.

I haven't tried your steps for state yet, as I will work on that once I get the fed to efile.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

As I hinted earlier, you may need to go back to the original tax file and start over.

1. Open the original tax file in TurboTax. Save as "Amend-NoState".
  2. Remove the state. Save the file. Close TurboTax.
  3. Without opening a file, start TurboTax.
  4. Click on the "Amend a Return" option at the bottom of the splash page.
  5. Open the "Amend-NoState" file. Confirm there are no state forms in Forms Mode.
  6. Return to Step-by-Step and make the changes you need for the amended return.
  7. Review and e-file the amended federal return.

You might try adding Arizona to the amended federal file (make a copy first). TurboTax may not prepare the state return as "amended," though. In that case, may need to repeat the steps above without removing the state then try filing Arizona by itself. 

Make copies of the .tax20XX file as often as you think you might need them. Better to have too many than be forced to start over again.

TStarkey

Hi Patricia - thanks again.

Unfortunately, I did try that and still no luck.  Tried it with the new version (which was already a save as).  Went back to the original version, resaved it with a new name, and tried again several times.  So yeah... I have several versions of it saved by now along with the original version.

Even with the state forms removed, it always wants me to go to state, and knows its Arizona.  I assume its doing this because it has all my prior years (it loads in last years when I start the return).  I just skip the state, but no luck.

It consistently tells me at the end that there are no eligible returns, and that the returns have already been filed.  Its acting as if its not amending a return, even though I had selected that at the end (opening a file I had already removed the state from, closed out.  Reopened TT, then selected amend return)

At this point, I am wondering if there is a way to get the amended return out of TT and e-filing it another way.  I suppose I could mail the federal amended return (even though I e-filed the original).  But AZ requires e-file for S-Corps... I suppose I could also mail it with a pleasant note begging forgiveness.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are able to print the amended return for mailing, that may be your best option. Use File >> Print and choose the state forms for filing. Be sure to verify the information on the return has been amended as you expect. Adding a note explaining software issues might avoid complications with the state.

There might be an option to e-file an amended return on the Arizona website. Many offer that now.

I have similar issue where I need to amend my S-corp tax return.  I used TurboTax Online Business Live Assist.  Do you have instructions on how to amend my S-corp?  Thanks!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Log in to your TurboTax online account.  On the login screen there is a button that says "Amend a previously filed return'.  Click that button and select the return you are amending and then make the changes that you need.

@hanhtutran 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies