Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

richcass77
Returning Member

Any update on when this bug will be fixed?

Error: "Form 1099-misc: a link to schedule c should not be linked when the mwp qualifying as difficulty of care payments exclusion box has been checked"

This bug is preventing me from e-filing my return.  When I delete the 1099-MISC,  I get a Schedule C error.  When I remove the income from schedule c and put in as Additional income on schedule 1,  I get an e-file warning that the return is at risk of being rejected.  HELP!!  just want to know when it will be fixed. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

This is an issue that is being looked into.  You can see Why am I getting a 1099-MISC error? to get updated.

You can delete the 1099-MISC and enter your income as Other Self-employed income to be able to proceed with filing your return since you are not required to report your 1099-MISC specifically.

To delete a specific form in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your return, click on Tax Tools in the black menu on the left side of the screen.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. Click on Delete a Form
  4. Scroll down to your form and click Delete.
  5. Under Federal in the black menu bar click Wages & Income to get back into your tax returns.
  6. Search for self employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  7. Answer Yes on the Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? screen
    • If you land on the Your 2022 self-employed work summary page, select Review next to the work you're adding income for
  8. Answer the questions on the following screens until you arrive at Let's enter the income for your work
  9. Scroll down to the Income section and click Add income for this work
  10. Choose Other self-employed income and Continue
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Patssle1

I can't file my taxes either. I would prefer to put the form under the correct category. Please fix!

richcass77
Returning Member

My concern is that a 1099 misc is filed with the irs and could generate a mismatch on the return.  Ie. I have $600 on a 1099 misc and another $600 under other income . The IRS May look for an additional $600, not to mention the quicken step by step asks if you have any 1099-MISC income?  Let me know when it is backed out and I can file. Correctly. Thanks.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers may be experiencing an error when entering a 1099-MISC: “A link to Schedule C should not be linked when the MWP qualifying as difficulty of care payments exclusion box has been checked.”

You may be able to sign up for notifications here.

If you are wanting to report the 1099-MISC as income in the Schedule C, you may be able to delete the original 1099-MISC.

Depending upon how the 1099-MISC was entered, you may be able to remove the 1099-MISC by following these steps:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Click on Delete a form.

Then enter the income directly in the Schedule C at the screen Let's enter any additional income for your work.

You may select Form 1099-NEC or Other self-employed income, includes cash and checks.

@Patssle1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same problem. HOWEVER when I click on Tools menu in TT, there is no Delete Form option.  I see My Tax Data, Final Review, Topic List, Attachments, Calculator, Tax Summary, Tax History, Order History...and Delete Form is knot located in any other menu options.

^^^ sorry for spelling error - should be  "not"

@DONNA 03079 wrote:

I am having the same problem. HOWEVER when I click on Tools menu in TT, there is no Delete Form option.  I see My Tax Data, Final Review, Topic List, Attachments, Calculator, Tax Summary, Tax History, Order History...and Delete Form is knot located in any other menu options.

The answer provided was specific to the TurboTax online editions only.  You are using the TurboTax desktop software installed on a personal computer.

To delete a form using the desktop editions you have to access the forms for your tax return.  Click on Forms or click on View at the top of the desktop program screen and click on Forms.

When in Forms mode locate the form or schedule you want to delete on the left side of the screen.  Click on form or schedule to Open.  When the form or schedule is displayed click on Delete form at the bottom of the screen.

richcass77
Returning Member

Alicia,

When I delete the 1099-MISC and add the income into either “Other Self Employed or general Income” , How will the IRS match the income on the 1099-MISC with the Income added in these sections?  My concern is that there will be a mismatch since they have the 1099-MISC.  

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

There's no need for concern.

Form 1099-MISC isn't a document that's required to be attached to a return, either paper-filed or eFiled.  It's not something the IRS is looking for, and it wouldn't be attached to your return, regardless.

See Assemble Your Return in the Instructions for Form 1040 for more information.

All the IRS is looking for is that you actually reported the income from your Form 1099-MISC.

@richcass77 

richcass77
Returning Member

Ok. I deleted the 1099-misc and added the general income. Tax is the same. Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies