turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 MISC

My wife and I volunteered for the Moderna Vaccine Study. We recieved a 1099 MISC last year. However, we are not a business and did not file schedule C. We did report the income. However, there was no way to deduct milage for a participating. Is TurboTax addressing this type of situation? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

1099 MISC

In this case of receiving miscellaneous income, you would not be eligible to take a deduction for the mileage associated with the income you earned from the Moderna Vaccine Study.  You are correct -- it is not business income so you would not file the Schedule C to report it.  It would go on your return as "Other Income."  If you are eligible to deduct medical expenses I would suggest claiming the mileage as medical mileage on your Schedule A for Itemized Deductions.  Otherwise, you would not be able to deduct it at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

1099 MISC

In this case of receiving miscellaneous income, you would not be eligible to take a deduction for the mileage associated with the income you earned from the Moderna Vaccine Study.  You are correct -- it is not business income so you would not file the Schedule C to report it.  It would go on your return as "Other Income."  If you are eligible to deduct medical expenses I would suggest claiming the mileage as medical mileage on your Schedule A for Itemized Deductions.  Otherwise, you would not be able to deduct it at all.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies