Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 Contractor beginning in 2024

I just purchased TurboTax Home and Business thinking it would help me figure out my quarterly taxes for 2024. It only looks at 2023. How can I use TurboTax Home and Business or something else to help me plan for my quarterly tax payments? 

Some facts -- first year as 1099 employee, filed jointly with spouse in 2023. Have some W-2 income for 2024 also. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Yes you can use the 2023 program to prepare estimates.  How did you do your 2023 return?  Did you use Turbo Tax Online or Desktop?  You can also use the forms mode to do a What -If worksheet,  you can check a box to use 2024 tax rates.  

If you didn't use Turbo Tax to do 2023 this might work but you will have to fill out some 2023 info to start.  To prepare estimates for next year you start with your current return, (if you can't get back into your return try this, On the Tax Timeline page you have to select Add A State to get back into your return). But be careful not to change anything on your real return.

Go to Federal Taxes or Personal (Home&Business version)
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Say No to W4. When you get to the W4 and Estimated Taxes section, say you want to adjust your income to go though all the screens.

TIP - If you didn't owe or missed making the prior quarterly estimated payments and need to just calculate starting now, you can go though the Estimated Taxes section and just put $1 (one dollar) in for the quarters you missed. Then it will only figure the current and remaining quarters.

The 1040ES quarterly estimates are due April 15, June 17, Sept 16 and Jan 15, 2025. Your state will also have their own estimate forms.

You must make quarterly estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:
- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits.

- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:
90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or
100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.)

Go to forms mode and search for What if worksheet which gives you the option to use 2024 amounts. It’s not perfect but can give you a reasonable estimate of your tax liability from your self employment. 

I used TurboTax Deluxe online version for my 2023 taxes and have purchased the desktop version of TurboTax Home and Business. I see my information imported into the desktop version but I'm not seeing a What If worksheet either in the desktop version or the online version. 

Good.  You downloaded the .tax2023 file from Online and opened it in the Desktop program?  To find the What-If worksheet……

Click  Forms in the upper right (left for Mac). Then click Open Forms box in the top of the column on the left. Open the US listing of forms and towards the bottom find the What-if worksheet.  Or you can copy your file with another name and test in the copy.  Go to FILE-SAVE AS.

If you still can’t find the What If sheet i can post a screenshot.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  

Found one of my screenshots.

What if.JPG

@VolvoGirl I am on Windows. I found the What If worksheet! (thank you!) I see all my numbers from 2023 but it does not seem to let me change/delete. (Edit: nevermind, I see I should just do in column A)

You can override the amounts and play around with it.  First copy column 1 to column 2 and check the box at the top to use 2024 rates.   Try right clicking on an amount to overwrite it.  I had trouble using it at first and it wasn’t working but it finally started working.  I probably had to update the program a couple times but if you just downloaded the program it should have all the updates.  But try going up to Online-Check for updates.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies