briankfisher11

Your software indicated I over contributed to social security and I am eligible for a refund on that amount, but no money was deducted from the Tax due amount

BMcCalpin

If you have one W-2 from which too much Social Security was withheld or even two W-2s from the same employer (same EIN), then the IRS instructions call this "employer's error" and that the employer should refund the excess. It will not be refunded on the tax return.

If the amount of Social Security taxes withheld was too much because two W-2s (from two different companies) put together went over the Social Security Wage Base, then TurboTax will compute the excess amount and refund it to you automatically as a credit on line 11 on Schedule 3 (1040).

Please see Tax Topic 608 at the IRS website.

[Edite 3/17/2020 5:27 pm CDT - made year neutral]

BMcCalpin