Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the maximum that I contribute in total to retirement plans in 2018? (401K, Roth 401K, IRA, Roth IRA, etc.)

Can I change my monthly contribution to any of these plans at any time or are they employer dependent? 

How do I report each of these contributions on my 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelDC

What is the maximum that I contribute in total to retirement plans in 2018? (401K, Roth 401K, IRA, Roth IRA, etc.)

Your plan administrator will be able to tell you when you can change your monthly contribution.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

What are the maximum 401(k) contribution limits for 2018?

The maximum contribution limit for 401(k) accounts in 2018 is rising to $18,500 for elective contributions, up from $18,000 in 2017. Elective contributions are money you choose to have withheld from your paycheck and invested for retirement.  

For older workers 50 and up, additional catch-up contributions are permitted. Catch up contributions are additional elective contributions older workers can make on top of the $18,500 every eligible worker can invest. In 2017, older workers were allowed to make catch-up contributions of $6,000.  This amount did not increase in 2018, so workers 60 and over will be allowed to contribute a maximum of $24,500 in elective contributions in 2018, compared with $24,000 in 2017.

IRA contribution Limits for 2018

The limit for contributions to IRAs for those under age 50 who have earned income from wage earnings remains unchanged in 2018 at $5,500. This limit applies to any type of IRA in 2018. People 50 and older in 2018 can make an additional catch-up contribution of $1,000, for a total annual IRA contribution of $6,500.

Mriese8

Why does TurboTax Deluxe tell me I am over the 2018 contribution limit when I put in $5.500 which is the allowable amount??

If you have an employer retirement plan, such as a 401(k), then your IRA contribution can be limited by your income
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies