turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

You issued me a 1099 distribution from a retirement account

Rollover versus distribution

Rollover versus distribution:

You issued me a 1099 R distribution from a retirement account. I was taught that a tax exempt transaction such as an 401k rolling over to an IRA account because of an employee leaving that place of employment was not a taxable event. A 1099 should not be issued. Please help me. If it is ok, please provide an explanation of it is wrong I need a corrected copy. Thank you very much. I have done this in the past but this is the first time I received this form. Thanks again
Amy Swedenborg
[phone number removed]

I tried to get a hold of you but was on hold for more than half an hour. I spoke to your company contact Kim but she didn't know, she had no idea what it was. She said I had to speak to you.

:

You issued me a 1099 R distribution from a retirement account. I was taught that a tax exempt transaction such as an 401k rolling over to an IT A account ollover because of employee leaving that place of employment. I

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You issued me a 1099 distribution from a retirement account

A direct rollover is not taxable. However, the law requires that the plan administrator issue you a form 1099-R. It is quite normal that you receive that form 1099-R. You do not have to have it corrected.

You need to enter that form 1099-R on your tax year. Pay particular attention to the code in box 7 which should be G. Follow the TurboTax interview and indicate that it is a rollover. TurboTax will exclude the amount from taxation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies