Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

You have my income as 0 I made 31732.80 (retirement and SS

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since you didn’t include the breakdown of SS vs. Retirement I am going to make some suggestions/comments.

You most likely don’t have enough income to make any of your social security income taxable.  Please go to the link below for the social security benefits worksheet.  Work through the schedule and it will tell you whether or not any of your social security is taxable.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/social_security_benefits_worksheet_1040i.pdf  

As for your retirement income, it was probably offset by personal exemption(s) and either itemized deductions or standard deduction.  For 2016 personal exemptions are $4,050 for each exemption claimed on your return. 

The standard deduction for 2016 is $6,300 for Single or Married Filing Separately, $9,300 for Head of Household and $12,600 for Married Filing Jointly.  If you are over the age of 65 your standard deduction increases by $1,250 for married taxpayers and by $1,550 for single taxpayers.

Please either print/preview your return to look at your forms by going to My Account (upper right of your screen), and click on Print Center, then Print, Save or Preview this Year’s Return.  Or you can go to My Account, Tools, View Tax Summary, then in the upper right click on Preview my 1040.  (See the screenshot below).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Since you didn’t include the breakdown of SS vs. Retirement I am going to make some suggestions/comments.

You most likely don’t have enough income to make any of your social security income taxable.  Please go to the link below for the social security benefits worksheet.  Work through the schedule and it will tell you whether or not any of your social security is taxable.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/social_security_benefits_worksheet_1040i.pdf  

As for your retirement income, it was probably offset by personal exemption(s) and either itemized deductions or standard deduction.  For 2016 personal exemptions are $4,050 for each exemption claimed on your return. 

The standard deduction for 2016 is $6,300 for Single or Married Filing Separately, $9,300 for Head of Household and $12,600 for Married Filing Jointly.  If you are over the age of 65 your standard deduction increases by $1,250 for married taxpayers and by $1,550 for single taxpayers.

Please either print/preview your return to look at your forms by going to My Account (upper right of your screen), and click on Print Center, then Print, Save or Preview this Year’s Return.  Or you can go to My Account, Tools, View Tax Summary, then in the upper right click on Preview my 1040.  (See the screenshot below).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies