turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GPRP
Level 2

Withdrew from Canada RRIF - reporting NR4 (code 26) on US taxes

I am a dual US - Cdn citizen living in the US who is retired. I withdrew from a RRIF for the first time in 2023 and this was my sole income.  I received a lump sum of $135,000 CDN with 25% withholding of $33,750 CDN.  NR4 has code 26.   Do I create a 1099R?  Will my gross and taxable amount be the same, converted in US $ or is my taxable amount less withholding taxes?  I was anticipating a refund, but my calculations  show I owe close to $7K.  What am I doing wrong?  Married filing jointly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends on what the exchange rate was in 2023. I have researched historical rates for 2023 and the average is around .72. Let's calculate. 

1. Income                       $135,000 X  .72 = $97200 
  2. Standard Deduction                                 27,700
  3. Taxable Income                                       $69,500
  4. Tax liability                                                $7,903  This is approximate but could vary depending on the exchange rate

Now since you paid the withholding to Canada, you will need to claim a foreign tax credit for the taxes you paid to Canada. 

To report the income, go to:  

1. Log into your account
  2. Select Wages and income
  3. Less Common income
  4. Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099>start
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the page to Other Reportable Income
  6. Other taxable income, answer yes
  7. Then give a brief description of the income and the amount listed. Here list this as RRIF income and the amount.

As far as the Foreign Tax Credit, i don't have enough space in this post to go through the complete steps but I will get you started.  You can reply back if you need additional help in completing this section.

1. Go to Federal
  2. Deductions and credits
  3. Estimate and other taxes paid
  4. Foreign Tax Credit>start or revisit
  5. When it asks We just need to check if you have any uncommon situations indicate I paid foreign taxes on income I earned while working in another country. 
  6. At some point in the interview, it will ask if you wish to take a deduction or a credit.  You will wish to take the credit as this should erase your entire tax liability unless there is other income items to report in your return.
  7. Foreign Taxes paid should be $33,750 X .72= $24,300.  This is approximate but could vary according to the exchange rate you use.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GPRP
Level 2

Thank you for your reply. Is there a reason to use 1099-A rather than plugging it in as a 1099-R?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You aren't reporting this as 1099A income. You are reporting this as other income precisely in the manner I prescribed . You can enter this on a 1099 R but unless you have specific details about the issuer of the RRIF such as the EIN, it's best not to report on the 1099R because if it isn't reported correctly, you won't be able to efile your return.

IRS is not concerned so much how this is reported. It is only concerned that you report the income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies