Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Withdrawals of contributions by due date 2

“However, for the distribution of excess Roth IRA contributions, report the gross distribution in box 1 and only the earnings in box 2a. Enter Code J and Code 8 or P in box 7"(Form 1099-R instructions).

Please follow steps 11 and 12  from above instructions to get the exception from the 10% early withdrawal penalty. 

Code P only would indicate the return of an excess deferral and list it on line 1h instead of line 4.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Exception Code 21 - used on Form 5329, negates the penalty.

It is only distantly related to your distribution code(s) on 1099-R

Holy Cow!  I filled out my 1099-R as follows:

1) $3593.80

2a) $93.80

7) J & P

This assessed me the 10% penalty.  I then went to the now known 5329 form which showed line 1 as having the $94 early distribution from the Roth IRA.

I entered $94 under the Column A "Non Simple Distributions" on line U which states "Corrective distributions made before the due date of return" and line 2 automatically filled in code 21 as well as $94.  Penalty reversed.  Sound about right?

@fanfare

@DanaB27 

Penalty reversed, that's nice.

However, as I stated above, Line 1 should be Zero, since she has prior contributions into her Roth IRA.

when Line 1 is Zero, penalty is Zero.

@mgc6288 

I really appreciate both of you contributing to this major headache I've been trying to deal with.  Such a small amount in question but in my mind a big IRS headache.  I wish I could select two solutions for this one.

@DanaB27 - Thank you for at least pushing me to PJ  and then making me aware that I could select 2004 on the next page.  It never dawned on my to at least try it as I assumed it would simply use 2022.  

@fanfare - You've hung in there with me on a few posts over this, thank you.  Your mention of form 5329 really, really helped as I didn't even know of its existence nor see it among all the pages within TT.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies