Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dstew213

Withdrawal from my IRA, I'm 57 and I'm Disable, do I still have to pay 10% penalty?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Withdrawal from my IRA, I'm 57 and I'm Disable, do I still have to pay 10% penalty?

Normally when you take a withdrawal from your IRA before the age of 59 1/2, you are subject to a 10% penalty on the distribution.  

However, the IRS does provide some Exceptions to this penalty.  

One of the Exceptions to the 10% Penalty is if your withdrawal was made "Due to Total and Permanent Disability".

See the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about Exceptions to the 10% Penalty on Early Withdrawals.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301632

[Edited 01.27.18 | 4:34PM|

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Normally when you take a withdrawal from your IRA before the age of 59 1/2, you are subject to a 10% penalty on the distribution.  

However, the IRS does provide some Exceptions to this penalty.  

One of the Exceptions to the 10% Penalty is if your withdrawal was made "Due to Total and Permanent Disability".

See the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about Exceptions to the 10% Penalty on Early Withdrawals.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301632

[Edited 01.27.18 | 4:34PM|

Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Edited to add link to TurboTax FAQ.
dstew213

Thank you I'm on SSD and the DR's say it permanent 4 lumber surgery, 1 neck, both roto cuff
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies