turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BC45
Level 1

Will my spouse have to pay taxes for closing out a traditional IRA. Spouse is 69 years old.

Spouse will be taking out all IRA funds.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will my spouse have to pay taxes for closing out a traditional IRA. Spouse is 69 years old.

@BC45 

ALL amounts withdrawn are taxable.  The entire point of a traditional IRA is that you don’t pay tax on the contributions and you don’t pay tax on the earnings or gains over the years, so you pay tax on everything you withdraw in retirement.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

All withdrawals from a traditional (pre-tax) IRA are taxed as ordinary income.  

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes.  All withdrawals from traditional IRA's are taxable.  However, there are no penalties for ages over 59.5.

Please use this link for additional information.

IRS FAQ - IRA Withdrawals

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BC45
Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I was also trying to determine what portion of the distribution is taxable. (ie., only interest earned, tax deductions taken for making deposits, etc.).

Would appreciate any further info. Thank you. 

@BC45 

ALL amounts withdrawn are taxable.  The entire point of a traditional IRA is that you don’t pay tax on the contributions and you don’t pay tax on the earnings or gains over the years, so you pay tax on everything you withdraw in retirement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies