Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Crizzle

Will I need to pay taxes on an inheritance from my father for under $100k? This money was all after-tax money for him if that helps.

This money was left in a "trust for" account. Will this money be treated as income and then taxed at my tax bracket?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Will I need to pay taxes on an inheritance from my father for under $100k? This money was all after-tax money for him if that helps.

In most cases little to none of the distribution is taxable income to you.  However, the tax rules for trusts and beneficiaries are very complex.  Only the trustee who manages the trust will know the definite answer.  If you do need to report some of the distribution as taxable income, the trustee will give you a Form K-1 to use in preparing your taxes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardG

In most cases little to none of the distribution is taxable income to you.  However, the tax rules for trusts and beneficiaries are very complex.  Only the trustee who manages the trust will know the definite answer.  If you do need to report some of the distribution as taxable income, the trustee will give you a Form K-1 to use in preparing your taxes.

Crizzle

There was no trustee for the estate. My brother and I had to go to the bank at the same time to sign forms and the bank then cut us seperate checks. Would the bank be the trustee in this situation? I definitely want to claim it if I have to but it would be great to not have to.
RichardG

This really only becomes an issue where the estate is in a lengthy probate or there is a trust.  You might contact the bank to find out if it will issue the two of you a tax form for interest earned by the account, but it's likely that will all be reported on your late father's final tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies