Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbakb

Wife retired from Shell. W2 has amt. box 11. Money sent direct to Fidelity. Fidelity also issued w2 for same amt. Is box 11 included in total wage? do I list both w2's

wife retired from Shell. Shell w2 has amount in box 11. That money was sent directly to Fidelity. Fidelity also issued a w2 for the same amount. Is the amount in box 11 included in the total wage for the Shell w2?  If so would it be duplicating the income by also listing the w2 from Fidelity. The IRS wants me to list the Fidelity W2 also. Do I list both w2's?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Wife retired from Shell. W2 has amt. box 11. Money sent direct to Fidelity. Fidelity also issued w2 for same amt. Is box 11 included in total wage? do I list both w2's

When you read the instructions for Form W-2, the amount in Box 11 is also to be included in Box 1. 

That being said, I have no way of knowing whether or not Shell did that. But, I would be wary of reporting both W-2s for fear of duplication and doubling income.

Here's what the instructions say:

Box 11—Nonqualified plans. The purpose of box 11 is for the SSA to determine if any part of the amount reported in box 1 or boxes 3 and/or 5 was earned in a prior year. The SSA uses this information to verify that they have properly applied the social security earnings test and paid the correct amount of benefits. Report distributions to an employee from a nonqualified plan or nongovernmental section 457(b) plan in box 11. Also report these distributions in box 1.

Again, Shell might say that their way of "reporting" these distributions in Box 1, is having Fidelity send you a W-2.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ashby

When you read the instructions for Form W-2, the amount in Box 11 is also to be included in Box 1. 

That being said, I have no way of knowing whether or not Shell did that. But, I would be wary of reporting both W-2s for fear of duplication and doubling income.

Here's what the instructions say:

Box 11—Nonqualified plans. The purpose of box 11 is for the SSA to determine if any part of the amount reported in box 1 or boxes 3 and/or 5 was earned in a prior year. The SSA uses this information to verify that they have properly applied the social security earnings test and paid the correct amount of benefits. Report distributions to an employee from a nonqualified plan or nongovernmental section 457(b) plan in box 11. Also report these distributions in box 1.

Again, Shell might say that their way of "reporting" these distributions in Box 1, is having Fidelity send you a W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies