Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WB001

Why TurboTax prompts: "Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions" when done processing all 1099-Rs

In TurboTax Premier (Desktop) I have complete all 1099-R income sections.  Being retire (7 yrs) each year I have the same 4 accounts to account for.  Now when all those forms are processed in Turbo next  Turbo directs me to "Continue" and it ask if my Roth IRA (not inherited) was open in Dec 31, 2023.  Yes obviously.  Then Turbo requires information "Report your Roth IRA Contributions prior for 2023".   I haven't contributed to any of those accounts in years; since prior to retiring.  Turbo Tax already has the withdrawal information from the 1099-R.  Why is it asking this now?  Turbo has never done this before.  My Roth doesn't have a Required Minimum Distribution (RMD).

I've made no contributions since retiring.  Why is this coming up now in TurboTax?  I have no idea how long I've been contributing to that Roth IRA and the questions make no sense to me at this time.

Thanks, B

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Why TurboTax prompts: "Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions" when done processing all 1099-Rs

If your Form 1099-R has code Q or code T then you can ignore the "Report your Roth IRA Contributions prior for 2023" question.

TurboTax uses the net Roth contributions prior to 2023 to calculate the taxable amount only if your distribution wasn't a Qualified Distributions. You can withdraw contributions you made to your Roth IRA anytime, tax- and penalty-free. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
WB001

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies