Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is Turbo tax taxng my husband tribal per capital money of $12,500.00? How do I keep it the Indian Tribal Distribution to not be taxed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Why is Turbo tax taxng my husband tribal per capital money of $12,500.00? How do I keep it the Indian Tribal Distribution to not be taxed?

If your husband received a Form 1099-MISC, it indicates that the per capita income is income from Indian gaming proceeds, and is therefore taxable. 

In general, the per capita payments issued to a member of Indian tribes are not subject to federal income tax, unless they are from gaming proceeds.

Per the IRS:

“If you are a member of a federally recognized tribe and have received income from tribal per capita distributions or from Indian gaming proceeds, here is some important information.

Reported on a 1099-MISC income statement, this income should be included on Line 21 of Form 1040, with a description. The correct description will allow the return to process as quickly as possible! For paper or e-file returns, please enter one of the following descriptions on Line 21:

Indian Gaming Proceeds

Indian Tribal Distrib

Native American Distrib"

To enter into TurboTax::

1. Type "1099-Misc" into the search box)
  2. Select Jump to 1099-Misc blue link - continue through the interview.  On the Screen Does any of these uncommon situations apply to you, select This was price winnings

IT IS NOT PRICE WINNINGS!!!!
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

No, it's not, but this will get it into TurboTax so that you don't owe self-employment tax on the income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies