turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gerard9

Why is my federal tax due amount increase when I enter an amount in a Roth IRA with pre-taxed dollars?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Why is my federal tax due amount increase when I enter an amount in a Roth IRA with pre-taxed dollars?

Roth IRA contributions are made with after-tax dollars. Traditional IRA contributions are made with pre-tax dollars

You may not be eligible to contribute to an IRA or the amount may be limited. If the contribution amount is not allowed or limited, TurboTax is calculating a 6% penalty due to excess IRA contributions.

• You will have a 6% excess contribution penalty for 2018 that repeats every year that it remains in the account. 
  • You need to take a normal distribution of the total excess before April 15, 2019 to prevent a 2018 penalty.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

Roth IRA contributions are made with after-tax dollars. Traditional IRA contributions are made with pre-tax dollars

You may not be eligible to contribute to an IRA or the amount may be limited. If the contribution amount is not allowed or limited, TurboTax is calculating a 6% penalty due to excess IRA contributions.

• You will have a 6% excess contribution penalty for 2018 that repeats every year that it remains in the account. 
  • You need to take a normal distribution of the total excess before April 15, 2019 to prevent a 2018 penalty.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301534

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies