turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my "elective deferrals to a 403(b) salary reduction agreement" for box 12, code E, not showing up in my "credit for retirement savings contribution deduction"?

So I have an entry on my W-2 for box 12 with the code of E. My spouse also has this code. However, when I get to the "Credit for retirement savings contribution" panel, my tab says I made "$0 in regular elective contributions to employer-provided qualified retirement account." For my spouse, they have the same amount that is indicated by their code E.

For additional information, I was still a student for part of 5 months in the year, but otherwise nothing significant was different in our situations. My contribution was made from a job I started in the second half of the year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Why is my "elective deferrals to a 403(b) salary reduction agreement" for box 12, code E, not showing up in my "credit for retirement savings contribution deduction"?

It depends.  Your question holds a key, however:  you were a student for part of the year.  A student is not allowed to claim the Retirement Savers Credit.  So his contribution is considered to be a zero for the purposes of this credit.  Here's an FAQ with more information on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301263

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Your question holds a key, however:  you were a student for part of the year.  A student is not allowed to claim the Retirement Savers Credit.  So his contribution is considered to be a zero for the purposes of this credit.  Here's an FAQ with more information on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301263

Thanks for the insight TurboTaxDanielV. I'm guessing the 5-month time requirement is essentially to disqualify someone if they were a full time student for a single semester in a year?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Correct.  The IRS considers you a full-time student if you were at least a half-time student for 5 months of the year.  (A strange definition I'll admit but their standard nonetheless).  However, if you are eligible to claim Education Credits, they will have a more powerful effect on your tax return in all likelihood.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies