Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ambc
Level 2

Why does TurboTax state "you don't qualify for an IRA deduction" for a Roth IRA. Why? I did it last year and there are no special circumstances

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Why does TurboTax state "you don't qualify for an IRA deduction" for a Roth IRA. Why? I did it last year and there are no special circumstances

A Roth is NEVER deductible.  Perhaps you misunderstood the message.  Does it says you do not qualify to make the contribution?

Or that you do not qualify to deduct a Traditional IRA?

ambc
Level 2

Thank you for pointing that out, SweetieJean!  I guess I am just confused and can ignore this message from TT. I checked that I want to make a Roth IRA contribution and got the following message:

"Based on what you've entered you don't qualify for an IRA deduction."

It's confusing but I guess I will just proceed. Thanks again.

It sounds line you checked the Traditional IRA box and not the Roth box.  I suggest that you not not proceed until you uncheck all boxes and continue to remove and delete what you have entered and the re-enter it.

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 4.50.46 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ambc
Level 2

Thank you, Macuser_22 -- I tried redoing it all, but I will try again!

If that does not clear it then  there is probably an erroneous entry in the IRA Contribution Worksheet.   Delete that form and re-enter the contribution.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ambc
Level 2

Will do-- thank you macuser_22!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies