Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdlo
Level 2

Why can't I deduct my traditional IRA contribution even though I don't have a retirement plan? Box 13 in my W2 is empty. However, system still says "Income too high".

I thought that if I don't have a qualified retirement plan (Box 13 empty), I could deduct the entire limit $6000.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Why can't I deduct my traditional IRA contribution even though I don't have a retirement plan? Box 13 in my W2 is empty. However, system still says "Income too high".

Good catch.

BB refers to "Designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan. Use this code to report designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan." See W-2 Instructions, page 21.

If you look a bit further along in the W-2 Instructions, you will see that for box 13, a 403(b) is one of the retirement plans that should trigger the checkmark in the appropriate box 13. You might remind your employer that the retirement plan box should be checked (note that the W-2 Instructions above are instructions for the employer to fill out the W-2).

You may not have noticed because it is a Roth plan, so there is no deduction from Wages in box 1 on the W-2, unlike the more common 401(k) plan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Is your spouse covered by a retirement plan?

rdlo
Level 2

No, I filed as a single taxpayer.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Your income should not affect your ability to make a deductible IRA contribution if you don't have a retirement plan at work. I suggest you delete your W-2 entry and re-enter it.

rdlo
Level 2

Thank you. 

I deleted it and it still wouldn't let me deduct.  However, I noticed that I do have an entry on Box 12, under code BB. This is what is preventing me to deduct contribution.

I thought Box 13 was the only checkbox determining if I was an active participant at a retirement plan, but it seems that even if Box 13 is unchecked, Box 12 can also determine it. I guess I was part of a retirement plan and didn't know it.

Thanks.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Good catch.

BB refers to "Designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan. Use this code to report designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan." See W-2 Instructions, page 21.

If you look a bit further along in the W-2 Instructions, you will see that for box 13, a 403(b) is one of the retirement plans that should trigger the checkmark in the appropriate box 13. You might remind your employer that the retirement plan box should be checked (note that the W-2 Instructions above are instructions for the employer to fill out the W-2).

You may not have noticed because it is a Roth plan, so there is no deduction from Wages in box 1 on the W-2, unlike the more common 401(k) plan.

esque1

The IRA deduction is not showing even though there is no retirement plan.  It tells me that they have an income limit.  Nothing is checked in box1 13 or 12.  I deleted the w-2 and reentered.

What can I do to get this correct?

TomD8
Level 15

@esque1 --  There is no income limit for contributions to a Traditional IRA.  However, income limits do apply to Roth IRA contributions.

A Traditional IRA does have income limits with regard to the deductibility of contributions.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies