Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bob12

When I enter the gross dist. from my 1099-r and the lesser taxable amount from line 2a, why does turbo tax still show my full amount as being taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I enter the gross dist. from my 1099-r and the lesser taxable amount from line 2a, why does turbo tax still show my full amount as being taxable?

There are a number of questions that follow the 1099R entry and one of them asks if the amount in Box2a is being used as the taxable amount.  That question has to be answered "yes."

What you could be seeing is that in the TurboTax program itself it will show the gross amount even after you said "yes" to the taxable amount.

The tax return itself will show both amounts (either line 15a and 15b or 16a and 16b) with the amounts on line 15b or 16b being the taxable amounts.

Click on the Forms in the upper right and then in the left side of the screen click on the Form 1040 and look to see what has been reported as taxable income. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There are a number of questions that follow the 1099R entry and one of them asks if the amount in Box2a is being used as the taxable amount.  That question has to be answered "yes."

What you could be seeing is that in the TurboTax program itself it will show the gross amount even after you said "yes" to the taxable amount.

The tax return itself will show both amounts (either line 15a and 15b or 16a and 16b) with the amounts on line 15b or 16b being the taxable amounts.

Click on the Forms in the upper right and then in the left side of the screen click on the Form 1040 and look to see what has been reported as taxable income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies