turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I enter my Federal CSA 1099-R data, the deemed taxable amount in Box 2a should be my income. But instead, TT adds in the Gross distr. amount in Box 1. Why?

OPM already does this calculation for retirees, so why doesn't TT just follow what is provided on my CSA 1099-R?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

When I enter my Federal CSA 1099-R data, the deemed taxable amount in Box 2a should be my income. But instead, TT adds in the Gross distr. amount in Box 1. Why?

The gross will show in the program however the amount is box 2a should be what is being taxed on the return on line 4b.

Take a look at the return.

To Preview a copy of the Form 1040 prior to paying for TurboTax.
A.     Go to Tools in left side of screen and click on Tools
B.    A box titled: Tool Center will open and below the 3 boxes is: Other helpful Links…
C.    Click on the first one: View Tax Summary
D.    Then in left side of screen click on: Preview My 1040
E.    You can scroll up and down and see the numbers on a working copy of your Form 1040

I agree, that's what TT should show, but it doesn't!!  The amount showing on my preliminary tax return is the sum of my 2 1099-R's using the gross distributions for both, not the Box 2a for my Federal pension.  It is wrong & I don't know how to fix it, so I'm paying too much Federal tax - no acceptable!

Did you look at Line 4b of the return?

If it is included there go back through the 1099R section as TurboTax will ask if the amount in box 2a is used at the taxable income amount.

I need to know how to fix this please, thx!

go back through the 1099R section as TurboTax will ask if the amount in box 2a is used at the taxable income amount.

I have gone back through the CSA 1099-4 input numerous times & I always indicate that box 2a is to be used as the taxable amount.  The only other oddity is on the question about whether I received periodic payments, each time I respond "yes" (monthly payments), but when I return to check it, TT has changed my response to "No - that I did not receive regular payments".  I keep changing it to "yes", but it won't keep it on "yes", it reverts to "no" each time.  This makes no sense to me at all.

That is the default answer and that is why that is happening.
To fix this you need to delete the CSA-1099r and then carefully go thought the questions again so you get the one regarding box 2a being the taxable amount to be used.

I just went back to double ck my entries & as before, all is correct except the Q about regular periodic payments - TT has that ckd as no, but I answer yes every time.  Why won't it accept it?  I went back to look at my 2017 Federal tax return & it appears that my 2017 return also included my gross distribution as my taxable income (not done by Turbo Tax, my 2017 was done using H&R Block).  So now it appears both years are wrong, what a mess, this is crazy.  Thx for any help you can offer.

FYI, I am a retired IRS Revenue Agent/Appeals Officer/Title 18 Compliance Officer, so this tax stuff is pretty easy for me, but I sure don't understand why both years are processing incorrectly.

I have a CSA-1099R also and mine is using box 2a, but once you go by that box it will not ask the question again. That is why I wanted you to Delete the CSDA-1099R and re-enter it.

And I did as you requested, I deleted my CSA 1099-R data & re-entered it, but got the same result.
jimtarin
Returning Member

what ! question AGAIN is why doesne't tb accept taxable amount on MY 1099R form .

ok does NOT ACCEPT IT  WHEN EVERY YEAR ITS THE SAME !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies