Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When calculating how much an IRA conversion to Roth is taxable, Turbotax asks the value of Traditional IRA, SEP and SIMPLE IRAs. What about other retirement accounts?

I have a combination of nondeductible traditional IRAs, deductible SEP IRAs and rollover IRAs from employee sponsored plans from prior employment.  Are the value of any of the rollover IRAs included in the total value or only traditional, SEP and SIMPLE IRAs?  I converted from a prior employee sponsored plan and not a traditional IRA.  I'm not sure why they only list the three (traditional, SEP and SIMPLE).  My traditional IRAs are nondeductible (contributed in addition to employer sponsored plan) while the SEP contributions are deductible (currently self-employed contractor).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

When calculating how much an IRA conversion to Roth is taxable, Turbotax asks the value of Traditional IRA, SEP and SIMPLE IRAs. What about other retirement accounts?

Rollover IRAs are traditional IRAs and must be included in the total value of your traditional IRAs reported on line 6 of Form 8606.  SEP and SIMPLE IRAs are also types of traditional IRAs.

Traditional IRAs themselves are not deductible or nondeductible.  Basis in nondeductible traditional IRAs belongs to you, not to any particular one of your traditional IRAs.

Thank you for the response.  So all IRAs, whether deductible or not should be included.  Are there any retirement account values that should not be included on this line?

dmertz
Level 15

Only the various types of traditional IRAs are to be included, not Roth IRAs, not 401(k)s, not 403(b)s, not 457(b)s, not the federal TSP and not any inherited IRAs maintained as beneficiary IRAs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies