Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reeya123

What percentage of retirement is taxable. I mean like at what percentage? Like 80%?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What percentage of retirement is taxable. I mean like at what percentage? Like 80%?

Here's the IRS's answer to that question if by "retirement" you really mean "pension":

"If you receive retirement benefits in the form of pension or annuity payments from a qualified employer retirement plan, all or some portion of the amounts you receive may be taxable."

In other words, "it depends".  There simply is no specific "universal" answer to the question.  At a guess, probably most pensions are 100% taxable but if you contributed after-tax dollars to your pension then some portion of the pension would not be taxed.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Here's the IRS's answer to that question if by "retirement" you really mean "pension":

"If you receive retirement benefits in the form of pension or annuity payments from a qualified employer retirement plan, all or some portion of the amounts you receive may be taxable."

In other words, "it depends".  There simply is no specific "universal" answer to the question.  At a guess, probably most pensions are 100% taxable but if you contributed after-tax dollars to your pension then some portion of the pension would not be taxed.

Tom Young

Some states have retirement income exclusions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies