Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if qualify for more than one reason withdrawing 401k early under special tax treatment? (Only allows1) It was for COVID-19 AND 2020 Disaster Dist. 3/3 NASHtornadoes

There was a State of Emergency declared for Nashville, TN for the 3 tornadoes that ripped through on 3/3/2020. It only lets me click one option, but it was both this AND the COVID-19 reason for withdrawing the measly 533.03 that I hope both these reasons allow a tax break on.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

What if qualify for more than one reason withdrawing 401k early under special tax treatment? (Only allows1) It was for COVID-19 AND 2020 Disaster Dist. 3/3 NASHtornadoes

They both provide the same relief, so you should choose the one that most closely matches the reason that you needed to access your funds.  For example, did the tornado damage your property or were you affected by COVID by reduce work hours or the inability to work in order to care for children or others? 

If they both apply, then select the one that happened first in your case. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand this, but if I had gone to an accountant they would manually be able to enter both, which would help my case from owing as much, even more. I upgraded for the extra services and signed up for a phone call that I still haven't received an hour later. (Not sure what I'm paying extra for when it wouldn't even let me include normal deductions on freelance work without an ADDITIONAL $120 to be allowed to list or else it wouldn't let me - second, new question)

So is there no way I can list both in this situation when it forces me to only check one? Thought the advertisement of someone walking me through things and manually helping was an option in the upgrade fee.

And is there no other way to list freelance deductions except for being cuckold into the $120 additional fee?

((Pretty sure I won't be going with TurboTax again. WTF am I paying for and all the high extra fees for normal stuff is outrageous.))

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies