What if I can't get the social from the person that pays on the promissory note that I inherited

I inherited a mortgage my dad was holding in the sale of a rental property, I'm trying to contact the buyer without success

If you are unable to obtain the social security number of the buyer, then you will have to mail your tax return to the IRS.  Include the buyer name and mailing address on your return.  You can use a fake number (999-88-9999) to finalize and print your return, but then be sure to white it out before mailing your tax return forms to the IRS.

Choose file by mail under the File tab when you complete your tax return.