Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

g04erit

What do I do if I don't have a 1099 I got a few payments from social security but I am paying them back now so I guessing really didn't get money from them right?

All social security payments became overpayment so do I have to worry about filing a 1099?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What do I do if I don't have a 1099 I got a few payments from social security but I am paying them back now so I guessing really didn't get money from them right?

In what year did you receive the incorrect payments?

In what year did you pay them back?

For the year that you received the payments you should receive a Form SSA-1099 showing the payments. For the year that you paid money back you should receive an SSA-1099 showing the repayment. If you received the payments and paid them back in the same year you will get one SSA-1099 showing both the payments and the repayment.

If you received payments in 2023 and did not get an SSA-1099, go to the Social Security web site or call Social Security at 800-772-1213 to get a copy of your SSA-1099. Make sure they have your correct current mailing address. If you received payments or paid back any money in 2024, you will get an SSA-1099 in January 2025.

You should enter any SSA-1099 on your tax return for the appropriate year. If the net benefits in box 5 of the SSA-1099 for either year is negative $3,000 or less it will not affect your taxes. If the net benefits in box 5 is negative and more than $3,000 you can claim an itemized deduction or a credit on your tax return for that year. TurboTax will automatically use the itemized deduction, which might not do you any good. If you have negative net benefits in box 5 of more than $3,000 post the details and someone will advise you how to handle it.

If Social Security benefits are your only income for the year you are not required to file a tax return, unless you received advance premium tax credit for health insurance from the Marketplace ("Obamacare"), or you took money out of a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Medical Savings Account (MSA).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies