turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msogle

We took money out of my husbands retirement account through his employer to use as a downpayment for our first home purchase in 2019. Is that consider other reason?

My 1099-R Just lists gross distribution and taxable amount...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We took money out of my husbands retirement account through his employer to use as a downpayment for our first home purchase in 2019. Is that consider other reason?

If you did an early withdrawal rather than a loan from a 401-k that withdrawal is subject to income tax as well as a 10% penalty.  Up to $10,000 can be withdrawn from a traditional IRA for the purchase of a first home without penalty but the withdrawal will be taxed as income. 

Even though IRAs and 401(k)s are similar, they are controlled by different sections of the tax code.  All withdrawals from a 401(k) are always subject to regular income tax and any withdrawal before age 59-1/2 (or age 55 if you are separated from service) is subject to the 10% penalty.  There is no exception for buying a home.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies