Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We're entering 1099-R re RMDs and at the end it asks if we "received regular payments from this retirement account." does that mean OTHER THAN the RMD we just entered?

the RMD is being entered per the info we JUST ENTERED from the 1099-R so I'm assuming we answer "no, Paul didn't get regular payments from this retirement account."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

We're entering 1099-R re RMDs and at the end it asks if we "received regular payments from this retirement account." does that mean OTHER THAN the RMD we just entered?

Having worked for GM/EDS we receive monthly pensions from 2 plans (for those I checked yes, we receive regular payments); however, we also receive an RMD payment annually from the GM Retirement Savings Plan. ALL 3 1099-R's IRA/SEP/SIMPLE BOXES ARE UNCHECKED. For the GM RSP RMD payment's 1099-R entry, I assumed we should answer "no, Paul didn't get regular payments from this retirement account" BUT my husband thinks we should check "yes" as we receive the annual RMD. Which way should we answer?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The text on the "Periodic Payments" screen asks if you got payments "on a regular basis, such as monthly, quarterly, or annually," such as from a pension that gives you a monthly payment. Answer accordingly.

If you are getting that question, I think you did not check the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box when you entered the 1099-R. If that box is checked on the 1099-R, make sure you check it in TurboTax. Your question suggests that you took an RMD from an IRA, so the box should be checked.

Having worked for GM/EDS we receive monthly pensions from 2 plans (for those I checked yes, we receive regular payments); however, we also receive an RMD payment annually from the GM Retirement Savings Plan. ALL 3 1099-R's IRA/SEP/SIMPLE BOXES ARE UNCHECKED. For the GM RSP RMD payment's 1099-R entry, I assumed we should answer "no, Paul didn't get regular payments from this retirement account" BUT my husband thinks we should check "yes" as we receive the annual RMD. Which way should we answer?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I think you should answer Yes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies