Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pnicks1

We have a 1099-r form of a 401k but some of the money was used for education. Where and what do I need to show some of the money from the IRA is for education?

We have removed money from a 401K early, but some was used for Education. Do we need a form from the University?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We have a 1099-r form of a 401k but some of the money was used for education. Where and what do I need to show some of the money from the IRA is for education?

You are using 401k and IRA interchangeably but while the penalty for early withdrawal for education is waived for an IRA distribution it is not for the 401-K. 

An IRA is not the same thing as a 401(k), even though they have similar purpose, and the rules on withdrawals and penalties are different.  
https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-exceptions-to-tax-o...

if you are under age 59 1/2, and you enter a 1099R for a retirement distribution, TurboTax will tell you that you are going to be assessed as 10% penalty for early withdrawal unless a special circumstance supplies, and you will be presented with a list of special circumstances. however, education is not one of the circumstances allowed for a 401(k) withdrawal. 

if you need to continue making similar withdrawals to pay for education, you should first roll over the money from the 401(k) to an IRA and then withdraw it from the IRA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies