turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We converted our non-deducible trad.l IRAs to Roth. I imported two 1099Rs, but TurboTax counted these distribution as taxable, What did I do wrong and how I fixed it?

In my 1040, Line 15b should be zero, but mine is still $13,000
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

We converted our non-deducible trad.l IRAs to Roth. I imported two 1099Rs, but TurboTax counted these distribution as taxable, What did I do wrong and how I fixed it?

From your question, it sounds as if everything is not quite entered correctly for it to be reported as a non-taxable event on your return.  Take a look at the instructions below to be sure these are the steps you used to report it in TurboTax.  Since you imported the Form 1099-Rs reporting the distributions, take a close look at the first step of the process, reporting the non-deductible contributions to the Traditional IRAs.

Here are the general steps you need to take to report this type of transaction in TurboTax, either the online or desktop version.  First, take care of the Traditional IRA contribution:

1. Enter “IRA contributions” in the search box located in the upper right corner of the program and initiate the search.

2. Your top search results will be a link to Jump to the section you need.

3. Check the box showing that you contributed to a Traditional IRA.  Remember, that is where you initially put the money.

4. The next screen asks you to verify that you contributed to a Traditional IRA, choose Yes.

5. The next screen asks if the contribution was a repayment of a retirement distribution, choose No.

6. Next, enter the amount that was contributed to the Traditional IRA.

7. The next screen is a little tricky unless you read it carefully.  It is asking if you “recharacterized” the contribution.  This is different from a conversion, so the answer is No.

8. On the next screen (or two), there will be a question about whether you are covered by a retirement plan at work.  Answer according to your situation. 

9. Following that, there will be a question about Excess IRA Contributions.  Answer this according to your situation.

10. Now, we’re at an important step.  The question will be, were there any nondeductible contributions to the IRA.  The answer here is Yes.

11. The next page asks for the basis of the Traditional IRA.  If you have never made nondeductible contributions in the past and kept them in the IRA, your basis is zero.  Otherwise, enter the amount shown as total basis on your most recently filed Form 8606.

That takes care of the first part of the process.  Next, you need to take care of the conversion of the Traditional IRA to the Roth IRA.  When you do this, a Form 1099-R will be issued to report the conversion.  You will simply enter the information from the Form 1099-R into TurboTax using these steps:

1. Enter “1099-R, distribution from an IRA” in the search box located in the upper right corner of the program and initiate the search.

3. Enter the information exactly as it appears on your Form 1099-R.  Pay special attention to Box 2b, Box 7, and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE check box.  Click Continue.

4. The next screen is a follow-up question asking whether you inherited the IRA.  Answer No.

5. The next screen asks what you did with the money.  Answer I moved the money to another retirement account.

6. Then, choose I converted all of this money to a Roth IRA account to answer the question that appears. 

7. Finally, there will be a final question to determine whether any of the money was moved back to the traditional IRA.  Answer No.

One final note, if the Traditional IRA earned any money before it was converted to the Roth IRA, those earnings will be taxable on your return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

From your question, it sounds as if everything is not quite entered correctly for it to be reported as a non-taxable event on your return.  Take a look at the instructions below to be sure these are the steps you used to report it in TurboTax.  Since you imported the Form 1099-Rs reporting the distributions, take a close look at the first step of the process, reporting the non-deductible contributions to the Traditional IRAs.

Here are the general steps you need to take to report this type of transaction in TurboTax, either the online or desktop version.  First, take care of the Traditional IRA contribution:

1. Enter “IRA contributions” in the search box located in the upper right corner of the program and initiate the search.

3. Check the box showing that you contributed to a Traditional IRA.  Remember, that is where you initially put the money.

4. The next screen asks you to verify that you contributed to a Traditional IRA, choose Yes.

5. The next screen asks if the contribution was a repayment of a retirement distribution, choose No.

6. Next, enter the amount that was contributed to the Traditional IRA.

7. The next screen is a little tricky unless you read it carefully.  It is asking if you “recharacterized” the contribution.  This is different from a conversion, so the answer is No.

8. On the next screen (or two), there will be a question about whether you are covered by a retirement plan at work.  Answer according to your situation. 

9. Following that, there will be a question about Excess IRA Contributions.  Answer this according to your situation.

10. Now, we’re at an important step.  The question will be, were there any nondeductible contributions to the IRA.  The answer here is Yes.

11. The next page asks for the basis of the Traditional IRA.  If you have never made nondeductible contributions in the past and kept them in the IRA, your basis is zero.  Otherwise, enter the amount shown as total basis on your most recently filed Form 8606.

That takes care of the first part of the process.  Next, you need to take care of the conversion of the Traditional IRA to the Roth IRA.  When you do this, a Form 1099-R will be issued to report the conversion.  You will simply enter the information from the Form 1099-R into TurboTax using these steps:

1. Enter “1099-R, distribution from an IRA” in the search box located in the upper right corner of the program and initiate the search.

3. Enter the information exactly as it appears on your Form 1099-R.  Pay special attention to Box 2b, Box 7, and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE check box.  Click Continue.

4. The next screen is a follow-up question asking whether you inherited the IRA.  Answer No.

5. The next screen asks what you did with the money.  Answer I moved the money to another retirement account.

6. Then, choose I converted all of this money to a Roth IRA account to answer the question that appears. 

7. Finally, there will be a final question to determine whether any of the money was moved back to the traditional IRA.  Answer No.

One final note, if the Traditional IRA earned any money before it was converted to the Roth IRA, those earnings will be taxable on your return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies