Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-2 Entry Uncommon sit. checkboxes - nonqualified pension plan not on W-2

When entering my W-2 information, the main form entry is followed by a list of "uncommon situations" which includes a line "Nonqualified pension plan not on my W-2."  The ? help icon then speaks only of "What if I have a section 457 plan on my W-2?"  First, those are two different questions...  Second, I don't understand whether I should or shouldn't check this?  I am still employed, and contribute to a nonqualified "deferred compensation plan", but it is not a tax-exempt NGO.

So... I DO have a nonqualified pension plan, and NO, it does not show up on my W-2.  Thus, I might think I should check that box...

However... why would it??? It never has before, and I did not receive income from it.  I contributed TO it, so my income in box 1 looks "low" relative to 3 and 5, but unless there is some reporting requirement for contributions I don't see why I would check that box?!?

What is the right answer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The entry you mention would normally be reported by virtue of an amount listed in box 11 on your W-2 form. If you don't have an entry there, TurboTax allows you to make it by checking the box you mention and entering the amount manually.

The question applies to distributions from or taxable social security/Medicare income recognized in the current year by virtue of deferral income from prior years associated with nonqualified deferred compensation or nongovernmental 457(b) plans. As it applies to what you describe, since you don't mention receiving a distribution it is not likely it applies to you. This is the description to Box 11 as listed on the W-2 form:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The entry you mention would normally be reported by virtue of an amount listed in box 11 on your W-2 form. If you don't have an entry there, TurboTax allows you to make it by checking the box you mention and entering the amount manually.

The question applies to distributions from or taxable social security/Medicare income recognized in the current year by virtue of deferral income from prior years associated with nonqualified deferred compensation or nongovernmental 457(b) plans. As it applies to what you describe, since you don't mention receiving a distribution it is not likely it applies to you. This is the description to Box 11 as listed on the W-2 form:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies