turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

garywein

Value traditional IRA

On the screen "Tell us the value of your traditional IRA," I enter the value and my tax due increases dramatically.  Why?  Also, why does it not ask for the value of my wife's IRA since we're filing jointly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Value traditional IRA

You apparently have a 1099-R for an IRA distribution. Turbotax (TT) does not calculate the taxable portion until you enter your cost basis (previous non deductible contributions) and year end value. For most people, the entire distribution is taxable, hence the dramatic apparent increase.
Since the 1099-R is only attributable to your IRA, TT doesn't need your spouse's IRA info.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Value traditional IRA

You apparently have a 1099-R for an IRA distribution. Turbotax (TT) does not calculate the taxable portion until you enter your cost basis (previous non deductible contributions) and year end value. For most people, the entire distribution is taxable, hence the dramatic apparent increase.
Since the 1099-R is only attributable to your IRA, TT doesn't need your spouse's IRA info.
bigbsr

Value traditional IRA

But what if the 1099R is for an inherited IRA?  How would you know what the tax basis of an inherited IRA?

dmertz
Level 15

Value traditional IRA

To determined the basis in an inherited IRA you would have to review the decedent's tax records, in particular looking for the most recently Forms 8606 filed showing anything in Part I, usually on line 14.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies