Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jbillz

Used IRA distributions to pay for COBRA premiums

Hi - It should not be subject to the deductible because I was unemployed and used it for healthcare expenses.  

So my question is how do I clarify that this distribution should be exempt from the penalty in my Tax forms. 

I'm using TurboTax Desktop so not sure where to adjust this.  The smart survey seems to skip the questions about this, I believe because of the code on my 1099-R.   See my earlier response. 

Thank you!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since you have an IRA distribution coded with no known exception, you are trying to avoid the penalty for the early withdrawal. The penalty is figured on form 5329. Look in your forms list and see if it is showing. If it isn't, you can open the form.

See About Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans - IRS

@jbillz 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"Roth IRA"

Is this a Roth IRA?  If yes, then the following information is important.  If it is not a Roth IRA, you need a corrected 1099-R.  (What are the actual letter and number codes?  It should be J or maybe J7.)

When you withdraw from a Roth IRA, you always withdraw contributions first, then conversions, then earnings last.  Withdrawal of contributions is always tax-free, no exception is required.  Withdrawal of conversions is subject to a 10% penalty if it is less than 5 years since the conversion event.  Withdrawal of earnings is subject to income tax plus a 10% penalty if you are under age 59-1/2 or the Roth has been open less than 5 years.  

Suppose your current Roth balance is $50,000.  Over the years, you contributed $30,000 and never taken a withdrawal before or done a conversion.  That means you have $30,000 of contributions and $20,000 of earnings.  If you withdraw less than $30,000, you are only withdrawing contributions and it is all tax free.  No special reason or exception is required.  If you withdrew $40,000, then $30,000 is tax-free and the $10,000 of earnings is subject to income tax plus a 10% penalty if you are under age 59-1/2.  You could apply the COBRA exception to the 10% penalty on the $10,000 withdrawal of earnings.  

However, turbotax does not know what your contributions, earnings, and conversions are, you have to tell the program.   If you enter a 1099-R with code J, you should be asked by the program, how much have you previously contributed, how much have you previously converted, and how much have you previously withdrawn.  If you answer those questions correctly, the correct tax will be calculated.  But only you have those records, and you are required to keep those records to prove your claims in case you are audited.

jbillz

This is very helpful, thank you so much. 

1. - Yes it is a Roth and the code is J.  The Roth is more than 5 years old
  2. - All the funds were contributions, not conversions.  I went through that part of the interview.
  3. - I am 54 so I am withdrawing early.  

Based on your note it sounds like this withdrawal should not be subject to income tax since it's 100% contributions.  

However, because I'm withdrawing early (before 59-1/2) I am subject to the 10% penalty or is that waived too?   I just went back through the 1040 and Schedules I don't think it's charging me the 10% penalty after all. 

Thanks again.

@jbillz wrote:

This is very helpful, thank you so much. 

1. - Yes it is a Roth and the code is J.  The Roth is more than 5 years old
  2. - All the funds were contributions, not conversions.  I went through that part of the interview.
  3. - I am 54 so I am withdrawing early.  

Based on your note it sounds like this withdrawal should not be subject to income tax since it's 100% contributions.  

However, because I'm withdrawing early (before 59-1/2) I am subject to the 10% penalty or is that waived too?   I just went back through the 1040 and Schedules I don't think it's charging me the 10% penalty after all. 

Thanks again.

Withdrawal of original contributions is never subject to income tax or the 10% penalty, regardless of your age or how old the Roth IRA is.  Penalties and taxes only apply to withdrawal of conversions and earnings, and then it depends on the exact circumstances. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies