Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smroyal96

understanding solo 401k employee contribution limits

I am self employed and over 50 and I make contributions to a solo 401k.  My gross receipts were lower this year than normal and I want to make sure I didn't over contribute.  I made the max allowed salary deferral (or employee) contribution of $30,000 to my roth solo 401k because the  IRS page on one participant 401k plans says "The owner can contribute Elective deferrals up to 100% of compensation (“earned income” in the case of a self-employed individual) up to the annual contribution limit".  My question is - what is the definition of compensation?  Is it gross receipts? Or is it net profit from my schedule C? - Or is it Schedule C net profit minus half of the self employment tax?  In my case the first two are over $30K but the third is not, so it makes a difference.

And does the fact that it is a roth contribution rather than a pre-tax contribution make a difference? When I entered my $30k contribution as a roth contribution in turbo tax, I didn't receive an error, but when I entered it as a pre-tax contribution, turbotax told me I had over contributed by over $600

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

understanding solo 401k employee contribution limits

For your elective deferral you can contribute up to 100% of your net income from self-employment, which is Schedule C profit less one half of self-employment tax.  It shouldn't make a difference whether you are making a Roth contribution or a tax deductible contribution, so I can't explain why the program is telling you that one is an over contribution if the other is not.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies