Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is saying I over contributed to my roth ira due to my MAGI. But my MAGI is under the $153000 limit, so why is it saying I can't contribute the full $6500 amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is saying I over contributed to my roth ira due to my MAGI. But my MAGI is under the $153000 limit, so why is it saying I can't contribute the full $6500 amount?

If you file single or Head of Household, you have a reduced limit if your MAGI is between $138,000 and 153,000.

The full amount is allowed only for MAGI up to $135,000.

See this IRS document.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

From reading the helps on that page when I went through it, unless you truly contributed to a normal roth ira, not a 401k or otherwise, see if your contributions is excluded from that section and you can check 'NO'. 

Remember it's a computer program, sometimes you need to check 'no' if the end result of that section does not apply. In this case, the point of checking 'yes' is to ensure your contributions are below $6500.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies